Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mrs. Degree

My roommate come home infuriated because she was told  that because she was dating someone that she was working toward getting her Mrs. Degree in college. She was mad because "whose to say that _____ is not the one who will be at home and I won't be the one making bank."  It is the year 2011, and to assume that she was going to jump right into being a housewife and making babies is absurd.

here is the urban dictionary definition of the Mrs. Degree:


MRS Degree

noun: pejorative
1. A marriage as a result of attending a 4-year university with the soul purpose of getting married and consequently not completing college.
2. The attending of college, usually a 4-year university of moderate to high prestige, to get married to avoid independence or responsibility.
3. To go from one's parent's home to the home of a spouse with out ever achieving emotional or financial independence, or academic success.
Betsy got her MRS degree from State. "I am majoring in my MRS Degree." Suzie's MRS Degree ended in divorce.
What is the male counterpart to this saying? I know that we have all heard it.. when I told everyone I was going to Alabama I had a lot of questions asking me if this was what I was looking for. I was offended because I did not choose this university with the sole aim of finding my husband. However, if I do find my husband this does not mean that I'm giving up my career and my personal independence. I also feel like just because college may be the prime time of my life to meet someone my age, possibly someone to date and then marry this should not, and does not negate the fact that I'm getting my degree and plan to pursue a career. 









1 comment:

  1. This one applies a lot to what I was saying on my post, yes there are a subset of female students who do come to college with the intent of finding a husband. And good for them if that's what they want. But to try to apply a stereotype to an individual is just stupid, so whoever said that to you, or your friend, is a moron and I would weight their words accordingly.

    ReplyDelete